Uganda Children's Writers & Illustrators Association (UCWIA)
is an indigenous registered Non Governmental Organisation(NGO)
of Ugandan writers and illustrators of children's books.
UCWIA is the Uganda Chapter for the International Board on Books for Young People(IBBY).
To bring together writers and illustrators of children’s books and encourage them to write and illustrate suitable reading materials with an African touch.
- Recruit more me members
- Write more books
- Participate in more book exhitions
- Widen partnerships both nationally and internationally
- Organize more workshops on children literature
Objectives of UCWIA
Bring together writers and illustrators of children’s books
Develop literature the fosters interracial and democratic deals and practices
Promote the development of indigenous culture through literature
Provide a positive portrayal of the African child in the media
- Writing and Illustration skills workshop for children’s books – May 2007
- Importance of Book therapy for children workshop - July 2010
UCWIA books selected for the Honor list of IBBY
- "Greedy Monkey looses a Best Friend" by Ms. Evageline L.Barongo, Illustrated by Mr Jude Kasagga. Honored at the IBBY Congress in Macau, China in 2006
- "Jonathan goes to school" by Ms.Eva Mutongole Wamala, Illustrated by Mr. Jude Kasagga. Honored at the IBBY Congress in Copenhagen, Denmark in 2008
- Members have attended the IBBY Congresses of 2002 in Basel Switzerland, 2004 in Cape town South Africa, 2006 in Macau China, 2008 in Copenhagen Denmark, and in Santiago Spain 2010.
- Awarded scholarships to attend conferences – IFLA (Botswana) and Africa Section of IRA (Dar es Salaam)
- Awarded a travel grant to participate In NAMBOOK 010 held in 2010 in Naminara Island of South Korea. The award was as a result of contributing to the book “A Peace Story” which is a collection of children stories about peace in our communities